Wednesday, October 21, 2009

For the Love of God! What a Sense of Humor FAIL

By now many of you know about the humorous infinitely recursive loop that occurred in the last 24 hours on Twitter involving the phrase "No God."

Seems some celebrity Twittster asked his followers to RT (retweet) the bumper sticker saw "No God No Peace / Know God Know Peace." Except what was intended as a Yay God! tweet backfired when it resulted in "No God" becoming a Twitter trending topic.

The fun began when various religious types began frantically tweeting to their friends "Stop the No God Twitter trend. Do not RT "No God" tweets!" .... which of course only added to the trend.

So today I posted what I thought was a fun little jokey tweet about this minor exercise in unintended self-perpetuation:


"Stop the No God top trend! Don't tweet No God! Please retweet this."

Several people got it and gleefully RTed it, many appending LMAO or its equivalent.

Until @Nitroslippers.

"You realize by saying "No God" your contributing. So by retweeting yourselves you keep perpetuating the Trend."

No, really? OMG how could I have not seen that!?! This is what I love about Twitter, so many helpful people just ready to explain the obvious to perfect strangers.

Of course, @Nitroslippers (where do you buy nitroslippers, btw, I want me some!) was truly concerned that someone as clueless as your host might not have understood his philosophically dense first tweet, so two minutes later:

"..And you wonder why people keep say Christians are morons. Is it sinking in yet, fellas?"

...obviously anticipating that after his first message all I could do was sit around confounded by why people call Christians morons. Or why someone on Twitter who doesn't know me assumes that I am a Christian. Maybe I'm just a moron. Or a Mormon maybe even.

I have always relied on the kindness of strangers.

UPDATE!!

A check of @Nitroslippers' Twitter stream shows that he has deleted the Tweets I posted above. I think he may have felt led by the Lord to do so.

However, he did leave in place this little gem:

"I'm following this "No God" trending topic, and I've notice that God fearing people have real bad grammar. Theres more then one book to read"

Well, at least in his second tweet above he knew the difference between "your" and "you're." Oh....wait....

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to stat a "N_ G_d" trend, as a sign of respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill A. FTW with the funniest comment I've ever received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably it would be best for ole @NitrousHuffer (or whoever) to work on the distinction between "you're" and "your" before moving on to the advanced subject of basic sarcasm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right, dot lizard! I'm glad for you're comment. They're aren't many people who would go their, but you did.

    ReplyDelete